95 burb.... considers napping randomly at stop lights [Expired Topic]

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by MN_Burbon, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MN_Burbon

MN_Burbon Rockstar 100 Posts

My 95 has just recently started to sputter and rough idle when I get to intersections, I haven't noticed any problems when the gas is applied. It hasn't died completely yet but randomly as I slow/stop at an intersection it starts to sputter out and sounds like it could actually stop. As soon as it gets some gas its fine again. I changed out the plugs, wires, cap, rotor last week with no change. It seems to be getting a little worse every couple days. Happens about 3 times a day while driving around town. Any thoughts? I dumped some injector cleaner in this morning thinking they might be a little clogged up......

2. jack77

jack77 Member

Kinda sounds like a vacuum leak or an IAC valve that is not responding the way it should. Those throttle bodies were known for having a vacuum leak under the throttle body, the gasket between the TB and the intake gets real brittle with old age and creates a vacuum leak that is real hard to find.

3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Is this only when at idle? It drives normally at driving speeds as far as you know?

4. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

That's exactly what my dad's 94 was doing. It turned out to be the a/c compressor trying to take a dump. Turn off your a/c and see if it smoothes out. If so, that would be the problem.

5. MN_Burbon

This does only happen at stops, on the road when gas is applied it runs fine. The AC is off now that is a whole additional issue, I need to replace the whole front end of the AC. Its at a shop now getting checked out, I was out of ideas and time. I will let you know how it turns out.

6. MN_Burbon

Just got a call back from the shop, they said that at the intersections the timing is getting set back to about 2 degrees where it would normally be at 17 degrees. The shop manual says the only thing that impacts the timing lke that is the ignition module and they put a new one in and nothing changed so they took it out.

Picking up the truck in an hour, they give up ;-)

7. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I thought the computer controlled timing, not the ignition module. Is the check engine light coming on?

8. MN_Burbon

There are no check engine lights and the computer has no maintenance codes either active or in the recent history.

9. MN_Burbon

10. MN_Burbon

[​IMG] Sorry forgot the image tags

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.