95 chevy 1500 4x4 5.7L starts and idle in park. When put in drive it stalls out?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Benzjt, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Benzjt

Benzjt New Member

I have a 95 chevy 1500 4x4 5.7L 145,000mils. It's been running good/bad for a few months. It will start right up and idle ok in park but as soon as I put it into drive it stalls out. If I put in drive and try to keep it running the rpms will just go up and down hard then stall out. I have put a new O2sensor, cap, ignition mod (under the cap), the last thing I just did was a new coil and still nothing??

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I would perform a sweep test on the throttle postition sensor, and also check the fuel pump pressure. for a 1995 you need to have at least 12PSI.
    There are threads here on the site on how to preform both of these tasks and how to handle which problems. This is at least a place to start let us know how it turns out and we can go from there if everything is where it needs to be.

3. crackerbaril31

crackerbaril31 New Member

I have the same problem with my truck and at constant speeds it will lose power and die... replaced fuel pump/filter,all plugs and wires, cap and rotor,coil,map sensor, tested iac and throttle position sensors and put a new fuel pressure regulator on it and it still does it! any sugestions? thanks, Nick

4. Draedo

Draedo New Member

on my 90 K1500, after sitting for a year i had a similiar problem when i got it running. What fixed it for me was replacing my 02 sensor and stabil gas stabilizer. but I also had other issues due to the o2 sensor.

5. crackerbaril31

crackerbaril31 New Member

was it throwing a code due to the o2 sensor? mine has no codes

6. Doug Sr

Doug Sr New Member

Ok I just spent the better part of 6 months chasing this problem myself and it's none of the above. To cut threw the case; just swap out your distributor but good luck finding a Distributor wrench that works really well. I in the end purchased a 9/16 Pontiac Distributor wrench then heated up the handle with a torch & bending it clock-wise about 90 degrees, it fits perfectly. After it only took me 30 minutes to sway out my old distributor and replace it. If you haven’t already figured this out, your Distributor is worn out its time to replace it. Trust me.
    Good Luck!

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  7. Benzjt

Benzjt New Member

I put a new distributor in it and it still ran like ****. So I sold the truck to my friend. He put a new fuel pump in and found out the ground wire was off the truck. Coming from the fuel pump. Started it up and it ran ok?? Lol

8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

That stinks that you sold it just to find out that it was a wire. I watched my neighbor sell a really nice restored 1985 chevy pickup to a guy really cheap. My neighbor could not get it to run right. The guy paid him. Popped the hood, adjusted the carb for about 1 minute. The truck started running great. He took it home and sold it for double what he just paid my neighbor.

9. Revredneck

Revredneck Rockstar 100 Posts

I would take a long, hard look at the ground connections, especially those on and near the thermostat housing. Make sure they are clean and tight, and if there is one on the thermostat housing bolt, move it to the intake manifold bolts at the head.
    Good Luck and God Bless.