'95 chevy 2500 4x4 TBI 5.7 auto looking for ideas!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Smoke Em All, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Smoke Em All

Smoke Em All Member

Engine/Trans: I am researching an electric fan addition. I already have a dual fan setup from my '96 LT1 transam but need to know how I can make it all work. if anyone has done fan swaps on these TBI 5.7s please chime in. Not sure what can be done to these TBI motors as far as bolt on mods but any ideas are very welcome. Same with the 700R4 trans other than some type of shiftkit and maybe a stall converter open to upgrade ideas.

Suspension: Ok so it already has a 3" body lift and 33" all terrains...when the tires wear out I plan to go 35"s and add a 3" block liftin the back and suspension in the front. Bang for your buck suspension ideas are welcome. Not planning on any big time off roading for now since i need it as a daily and don't want to break it "yet".lol

Exterior: I am not to worried about cosmetics but I will be removing some rust and patching some holes but not in a hurry. The plan is to plasti coat it flat or satin black after the body work is done. I would like to get rid of this ugly work truck grille and swap a '95-'98 Silverado grille but Im also partial to the Sierra front end so if anyone has done this grille swap shoot me a link.

Interior: Tint will be a must!! It has an outdated aftermarket cd player for now but the stereo system will be mildly upgraded but nothing major since its a single cab i dont want to sacrifice too much space. It has all light grey plastics which I hate but will deal with or paint till I see what my other options are links/pics would be apreciated in this area also. It has a beat to hell old solid bench seat I would like to replace with the Silverado seat with the foldable arm rest.

Thanks for looking
    Chris

2. Smoke Em All

Smoke Em All Member

Anybody have experience with any of this stuff^^??

3. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Hey bud, as far as wiring the fans goes... I think with your dual fan setup I would do it like this:

buy a 40 amp relay from local parts store (usually $5), http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/5212...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CPm2sNCRwboCFSdp7AodbQQAMg something along these lines works great.

You won't need a vehicle specific diagram to do it either. It's pretty simple, you will want to wire one of the fans to come on whenever the truck is running, and use the temperature control switch to kick the other fan on at your desired temperature.

On the constant fan, you will use the relay and just follow the wiring diagram printed on the top of it to wire it up.
    relay.JPG In this instance, 85 and 86 are the coil which one side will be direct to battery and the other to ground (heavier wire recommended). 30 is a simple "run" signal which you can run from basically anything that energizes +12vdc when the key is in the run position. and terminal 87 will be wired to the positive side of the fan motor. I would recommend matching the wire size that is already wired to the fan motors.

For the temperature activated fan, there will be instructions with whatever control switch you decide to buy.

You've just freed up some extra power!

4. Smoke Em All

Smoke Em All Member

Thank you this will be very helpful.

Asgard as the temp control switch you mentioned to control the second fan how does that part work? Is there a switch I will need to buy? What do I connect it too?

5. 08_rado_rocker

yeah, I put a link to it in my original post and it will come with everything that you need to wire in and set up the controls for it including instructions

6. Smoke Em All

Smoke Em All Member

Ok thanks I'm currently using tapatalk with low data connection so I wasn't able to open the link. Are there any other proven bolt on type mods for these old tbi engines you are aware of. Exhaust is my first big move Shorties are fairly cheap for these trucks and I'm thinking true dual x/h pipe. But anything else would be helpful. Thanks again for your input.

7. 08_rado_rocker

Everyone has their own favorites... I'm a big fan of full exhaust and an intake. Those motors were very responsive to head swaps as well it all depends on fow far you wanna take the term "bolt on" haha! everything has bolts that hold it on in some way, shape, and form.

8. Smoke Em All

Smoke Em All Member

Yea headswap is too far for me. I have an extra LT1 I may rebuild and swap the opti for a rear dizzy and go carbed. Maybemake it a 355 ported stock heads and can build

9. Dworms86

Dworms86 New Member

I have a 1995 K1500 and have been researching the Electric Fan Idea. A friend of mine had a 1996 Tahoe 350 and said that Dual Electric fans was the best mod he ever did. Either way I found this link that I am pondering on trying... http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/tech/project1580.html

Good Luck with everything and let me know if you decide and or do any fan mods. I am still trying to figure out what I want to do!!