95 chevy truck dies on cold start

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by 95chevyjoel, May 12, 2013.

1. 95chevyjoel

95chevyjoel New Member

I got a 95 k1500 5.7 tbi when the engine is cold it will die when I try to start it but if I give it just a little throttle it will start and run perfectly fine. some one help me with this what could cause that

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It could be multiple things. A vacuum leak, when was the last time you installed: New plugs, new distributor cap and rotor, new wires, new air filter, fuel filter? Have you rented a fuel pressure gauge and checked the fuel pressure? What is the pressure? does it hold steady after you shut the truck off? Do you have a service engine soon light on when the truck is running? Does it idle ok after it starts? Maybe an IAC issue?

3. 95chevyjoel

95chevyjoel New Member

Just recently did plugs cap rotor and wires and fuel filter that's when it started doing it I've checked the vacuum lines all are good I will check the fuel pressure this weekend

- - - Updated - - -

It runs fine just have to push the throttle in for a few seconds when I start it then it goes just fine like nothings wrong if I dont it dies right away idles fine no sputter or anything

4. Skippy

Skippy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

could also be a very dirty throttle body. Inefficient until you get a good flow going. Easy to clean with TBI. Just hose the throttle intake down with Throttle body cleaner. Use a cloth rag, where you can, to mop up whatever you can get cleaned up.

Also, I'm assuming you've got a fresh air filter on? Those old round ones aren't bad cleaning the air, but you should also check to be sure the seals are still good, and you don't have massive clogging.

There's a myriad of little things can cause a cold start hiccups. Most, fortunately, are not serious.