95 GMC 1500 wont rev up

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by luckey55, May 12, 2009.

1. luckey55

luckey55 New Member

So im not real sure what i did to it, but i have a 1995 GMC 1500 that wont seem to rev up past 1500 RPM.It acts like it boggin out, or not getting enough fuel or spark but i know it is. I changed the fuel pump and the fuel filter. That didn't seem to help, so i checked for spark and seem to have plenty. i know im gettin plenty of fuel ( looks like it). Im starting to think i messed up changing out the fuel pump, not sure how. but it is possible i am human.. Any one got any other ideas what might make it run bad and not able to rev up? I might be able to explain more if needed.

2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would think if you somehow messed up the fuel pump install that it wouldnt even start:neutral:

3. 98 chevy

98 chevy Rockstar

I have the same problem as you. On my 98 chevy 1500 it won't rev past 2500 rpms..On my truck it isn't the fuel either. It's starting to make me angry.

4. vncj96

Ok, need some more details when you say "rev" what are you reffering to, while in park, or in gear with your foot on the brake? If you are talking accelerating what else does it do, sputter, shake violently?

5. 98 chevy

98 chevy Rockstar

When it's in park or driving, when i floor it or get close to flooring it, it seems like it doesn't want to go past 2,500 RPMs. Once it gets to a certain RPM, it feels like the truck doens't want to go anymore. Yes, it sputters and kinda shakes. My dad said it's probably not getting enough air/fuel or not getting enough air out. (exhaust)

6. vncj96

Check the inside of your distributer for hairline cracks and carbon build up, then check all the wires in complete darkness for any arching

7. 98 chevy

98 chevy Rockstar

aight ill tell my dad

8. luckey55

luckey55 New Member

Yea while the trucks in park, if i put it in gear without just kinda holding the gas it will die. I just took a look for cracks in the distributor and didnt notice any. The truck seems to sputter i guess is a good word for it, while its idling the RPMs seem to very between 500 and 900. um yea if theres any thing else i can look for i'll take a look and respond asap, thanks for helping.

9. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Catalytic converter maybe? I had the same problem on my '97 burb a few years back.