1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

95 GMC Burb - Hard Start/Rough Idle

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Crispy3M, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Crispy3M

Crispy3M New Member

Hi Guys,

I have a 1995 GMC Suburban with about 275,000 KMS.

It's a 2X4, 5.7 L, V8 Gas.

I just bought the truck a few months ago and it has never really started right in my opinion. Always seems to take several turns of the starter before it finally fires. I was originally thinking I had a fuel pump pressure problem but today things changed somewhat. Now the truck is occasionally much harder to start and when it does start, it runs rough. Once on the highway, it works like a charm.

Any thoughts as to where I should start?

I've read through similar posts but nothing really stood out. I liked the Carb Seafoam idea but didn't want to start dumping products in the truck that it didn't need.

Cheers,

Chris
  2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You don't mention the condition of the vehicle other than the mileage. A recent tune up would rule out spark plugs, cap, rotor and wires. Fuel pressure is easy to diagnose. Measure the pressure and see it is within spec.
  3. Crispy3M

Crispy3M New Member

As I just bought the truck, I can't comment on the above mentioned items. They seem to have better than average wear but I can't see that being the cause of the hard start?

They will all be changed in time, but again, a good starting place would be appreciated.

As for the fuel pressure being easy to check, I looked it up on the net and it was recommended that I have it done at a local GM dealer. The guy in the video commented that it was anything but easy to check without expensive equipment.

If anyone has a link to a procedure or has any thoughts on this, I would enjoy hearing your point of view. I'm far from a mechanic, but it seems to me that the hard start sounds like a fuel problem?

Cheers,

Chris

PS. Great Forum!
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You can get a fuel pressure gauge at Autozone for about 50 bucks. Make sure you get the TBI adapter. These trucks are notorious for leaking throttle body to intake gaskets. While you have the TB off, you can clean it thoroughly and the Idle Air Control Valve too. Then run some Seafoam through the intake.