1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

95 k1500 4wd issue

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by cover3, May 31, 2009.

Random Gallery Photos

1. cover3

cover3 New Member

I have a k1500 and the 4wd did work this winter but i tried it yesterday and it wont work..

Stopped, putting it in 4lo and the light wont even come on, when you bring the stick back to 2hi you got to force it into it and it grinds and then putting it in 4hi the light will come on in about 5 seconds but when you try to move something is grinding and the full floor shakes and only the back wheels spin.

I tried it moving about 30km/h, coasting in neutral as soon as i put it in 4hi it starts grinding in neutral so i never even tried drive. Ideas?
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

A few questions. Can you get low range at all? Forget about the lights and front drive. If you can get low range then your problem is with the actuator on the front axle.
  3. cover3

cover3 New Member

I tried it then, in 4hi the light comes on and that but makes the grinding noise when i give it gas and the back tires only spin.

4LO doesnt work, i tried it many times just then, once the light did come on but the back tires just spun, other times the light wont come on and the back tires will just spin.
  4. Jimmiee

You say the back tires just spin but the question is are they spinning in hi or low range? If you can select low range and your truck remains in hi range <and you do have a manual stick shifter> you have an internal problem and you need to remove the transfer case for repairs.
  5. cover3

cover3 New Member

The back tires spin in both ranges, i have the stick shifter and i can get it in 4hi and 4lo but the 4wd wont activate in either.
  6. Jimmiee

As long as you have low range then I believe your problem is the actuator in the front end. If you do a search of the posts you will find tons of information on the actuator as these have a high failure rate.
  7. cover3

cover3 New Member

my 4wd dont work at all in either 4lo or 4hi but the shift will go into either, its almost like it wont mesh together, the front wheels wont get any power, only the back, in both 4hi and 4lo and theres a grinding noise under heavy throttle. im used to recreational vehicles and not trucks, this is all new to me.
  8. cover3

cover3 New Member

Do the actuator make noise or anything when engaged? because when i have the truck in the run position but not started and put it in 4hi or lo not a noise is made but the light does come on after a few seconds, starting the truck though its still the same thing, its still in 2wd but makes the grindning noise up frontish.
  9. cover3

cover3 New Member

I just had a friend move it in 2hi and the driveshaft that goes to the front different doesnt turn but in 4hi it does so im guessing that it is the actuator that is gone. It is a thermal actuator as well.
  10. Jimmiee

Here's a link to a PDF that will help you diagnose the problem.

Click Here