1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

'95 K2500 Suburban 5.7L completely dead...electrical...HELP!

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Dana Joe, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Dana Joe

Dana Joe New Member

Hello -

Earlier this evening I took my 'Burb to dinner. I parked, shut it off...everything fine. I came out after dinner and it was completely dead, as in "blown fuse" dead...I had to have it towed home. I checked the fuses / relays in the D/S of the dash and engine compartment area, all seemed to be fine. Would someone be kind enough to offer up the other items I should check? It's been raining heavily the last few days here in Phoenix, and I suspect the rain might have something to do with it...any ideas?

Thanks in advance...

2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Start checking all your power lines. Star at the battery and follow them back. You said a lot of rain in your area, with any contaminats in the water, the water could have leeched up into power lines and started to get that nice blue/green corrosion on the wires, that stuff will rob you of starting power very quickly, or with any cracks in the insulation all the water could be getting in there too.

3. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

yeah, I agree, sounds like ground wire/strap issue due to the excessive moisture/rain.

Brian from Canada

4. Dana Joe

Dana Joe New Member

Thanks - I'm finally getting a chance to see what the problem might be right now. The rain here the last few days reminds me of when I lived in Portland...it's been crazy! Last night when I tried to start my truck after dinner, all I could think about is that I'm missing the upper inner fender "skirts" @ each front wheel area...you know, the ones you take off to get to the spark plugs a little easier? They're supposed to be there for a reason, and I'm afraid because of this, water got into something it shouldn't have. None the less, I'll report back as to what I find. Thank you again for your replies!

- - - Updated - - -

GENTLEMEN - I come to you a bit humbled and feeling foolish, for it was the BATTERY that was my problem. I left my headlights on. didn't bother to notice that until I was installing the new battery. I was going to replace the battery anyway; I just wish I could have done so while avoiding a $75.00 tow bill. Stubborn me though, I was CERTAIN it was something else.

Yeah.

...again, thanks for all your help!

5. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

dang.I hate when that happens...oh well, nothing lost I guess except
    for one's pride.....Brian

6. D4gw00d

D4gw00d New Member

Well, your bad experience may help me out...

I bought my 'burban with only battery, although it was originally sold with 2. The previous owner told me he removed the one battery because he didn't really need it, and it was draining the primary battery down.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? Should I be replacing the missing battery, and if so with what? Deep cycle?