95 Silverado wont shift out of park

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by jazzybugga, Jul 20, 2011.

1. jazzybugga

jazzybugga New Member

Aloha gang.
    I just purchased a 95 silverado...Brake lights were not working so i replaced the Brake light sensor
    under the steering column...Now my truck wont shift out of park..Any suggestion would be great
    appreciated.
    Mahalo & Aloha

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

OK do you mean the shifter wont move or when you shift the shifter into a gear the truck wont move?

3. jazzybugga

jazzybugga New Member

Aloha murdog94,
    the column shifter wont move...i got it out of gear,but now i have to leave it in neutral
    to shift to drive.its been over a week now,im afraid someones going to break in to my
    truck and drive it away...while in neutral my steering column wont lock so a key isnt necessary.

4. jjotmo

jjotmo New Member

I believe it's your brake sensor. I had this problem on a 94 gmc conversion van. You can turn the key about halfway forward and move the gear selector from park to neutral then start it, then shift to drive or reverse. I did this for awhile before I ended up selling it. It drove me nuts until some one told me about this, I was stuck 3 hours from home when this first happened to me. Play around with it and atleast it's a work around until you fix it.

5. jazzybugga

jazzybugga New Member

Thanks for the info jjotmo,i going give it a try and post the outcome..
    thanks again !

6. jazzybugga

jazzybugga New Member

Thanks for the info jjotmo,works jus like you said.
    Thanks again!!!