95 Silverado Z71 wants to flood out and die

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by SeaHag, Dec 27, 2009.

1. SeaHag

SeaHag New Member

My brother in law has a 95 Chevy Silverado Z71 with the 350 V-8 engine and throttle body fuel injection.

In the mornings on cold start, the truck won't idle and wants to die if you don't stay in the truck to pump the gas.
    After running the engine up to full temp the truck runs fine, but then after a warm shut down, the truck loads up with gas and smells of very rich tailpipe emissions. Again the truck wants to die and you need to open the throttle up all the way to clear it out before it will stay running.

He's tried new fuel injectors, new fuel pressure regulator and a new air/idle control valve. Nothing has fixed his problem. Do you have any ideas?

2. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Sounds to me like its not getting enough air ,,and runs to rich to beginn with ?!

But i may be wrong. Hard to say with out really seeing it .:neutral:

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Hows the temp sensor test out? Could be sending a bad signal.

4. SeaHag

SeaHag New Member

I did a bunch of google searches yesterday trying to find someone else with a similar list of complaints. I didn't find anyone with an exact match, but others with poor running problems that seemed at least similar, traced their problems back to a MAP sensor, Throttle position sensor or a vacuum leak. So far I've forwarded those suggestions to my brother in law and he said he'd look into them next. He doesn't have a computer, but he'd seen me find the solution to my 4 wheel drive problem on my Blazer in about ten minutes online so he enlisted my help in this.

Thanks for your suggestions. I will pass them along as well.

5. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

let us know how it turns out man

6. SeaHag

SeaHag New Member

Will do...as soon as I hear from him on whether any of those ideas I forwarded to him have helped. Been kinda chaotic around here lately with lots of snow and super cold temps. I don't know if he's even had time to fix anything yet.

7. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

My 94 Silverado was giving me troubles also with rough idle and stalling at stop lights.

After installing new plugs and new wires, still had these issues.

Read several forum links and found that it could be the Idle Air Control Valve on the TBI.

Spent $24 at local O'reilys parts store and swapped out the old part.

Bingo... runs like new.

8. cruisnhard

cruisnhard Member

what does the ecu temp sensor ohm out to?