1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

'95 Suburban 1500, some new member questions...

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by audihenry, Nov 3, 2011.

1. audihenry

audihenry New Member

Hello all,

I just bought a 1995 Suburban 1500 for light towing and plan to change the oil, coolant, trans fluid, etc. Short of these, what should I look for, as far as problem spots and the like?

Some general questions:
    1) It has a hitch in the back but I don't know if it is the towing package (trans cooler, etc.): how do I check for this?
    2) The transfer case shifts fine into H4 but won't go into N or L4. What's going on?
    3) How do I know which tranny mine came with?
    4) Faded headlight covers: 3M rubbing compound or is there a better way?

Thanks! I would appreciate any and all of your help on this!

Henry
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

:sign0016:To the Site Henry......to know if your 95" has the Factory Tow Package and what Transmission......the best way to find out, is inside your Glove Box is a White Sticker.....which is called a Service Parts I.D. Tag and on it you will see the Vin# number and a Series of Letter's and Number's.....those are called.....RPO Codes....which stands for Regular Production Options, in short what your 95" Suburban came with from the Factory......the RPO Code for the Factory Tow Package is.....Z82, which you would have the Hitch and Wiring Receiver's and Transmission Cooler....and for the Transmission......Having a 1/2 Ton.....I'm guessing you most likely have the 4L60??....but not 100% sure and the RPO Code....M30??.....Regarding the Faded headlight's.....there's a write-up here on the Site, on how to get them looking like new again....doing a Search you should be able to locate it,

Also if you go the the Below Link, you will be able to De-Code, Most if not all of those RPO Codes in the Glove box,

http://www.rpocodes.com/

Last....when asking for help/advice......always give as much infor about your Ride as you can.....Engine Size.....2wd or 4wd.....etc.....as this will help the member giving help/advice to you......
    :glasses:
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  3. audihenry

audihenry New Member

Thank you for the helpful response, I'm very happy to have joined the ranks of happy GM truck owners! I was able to decode from that website that my vehicle does have the tow package, trans cooler, and engine oil cooler, as well. It does have limited slip diff, but with the weaker 60 trans.

My last question is the transfer case situation (this is a 4x4). It does shift into 4H (though I have no way of telling if it is engaged or not, short of raising the front), but does not go into N or 4L, it's just unpressable. Tried at stop, tried at 1 mph as per manual, no go. What could be wrong here?

Thanks again!
  4. Joeairforce

Joeairforce New Member

If it's a manual shifter for the t-case you probably have to move it to one side or the other (right IIRC) and pull back to go into N and 4L....
  5. audihenry

audihenry New Member

Hello, it is indeed a manual shifter. I read the manual over again and it looks like the car has to be in neutral when you do it, and in that case both N and 4L engage just fine. Now, the light that is supposed to go on does not go on nor is there any other indication of successful engagement. Short of putting the car on a lift and testing it, is there any other way to know when 4WD (either H or L) is engaged?

Thanks again!
  6. Joeairforce

Joeairforce New Member

Drive it while it's in 4WD and make a sharp turn..... It won't do it easily and will grab if it's working.