1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

95 suburban k 1500 oil leaks

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by 4u2, Jan 15, 2009.

1. 4u2

4u2 New Member

Fluid leaks in my suburban 95 4x4 k 1500.
    I am not mechanic. A handy man who is great says its rear main & plans to fix it by going under the oil pan & put seal on near transmission by just pulling bolts out. Does he not need to take the transmission out? I wish I can give my suburban to somebody in mechanic school who wants to learn from my subarban & fix it. Or Give it to GM to study the effects of wear & tear.
    :neutral::no:
  2. Allmostsmart

Allmostsmart New Member

I am not sure how he is going to do that without removing the transmission. 1991-1998 Automatic or Manual transmission have to be removed. You also need to take off the clutch if its a manual and the flexplate or flywheel. Then you can pull off the oil pan to get to the Retaining screws for the seal. There are vehicles out there where you can replace the rear main seal without removing the transmissions but your truck is not one of them. When your mechanic gets under there to look at it he will see exactly what he has to do. I have done many and it is a easy job once you get to it. If you have all the right equipment dropping the transmission is not bad at all.
  3. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

not to mention that on 4wd you have to remove the driveshaft and some other stuff to actually pull the oil pan off
  4. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!

There are plently of GM school that im sure would take your burb.
    Mine would.. :neutral: