1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

95 suburban transmission in a 98 blazer

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by jtwh20, Aug 10, 2010.

1. jtwh20

jtwh20 New Member

Hey Guys,

Since the Road Warrior Burb has lost its AC, I've found a cheap 98 Blazer 4x4, that has a dead tranny.

Would the one from my 95 1500 4x4 burb work? How much if any modification would be needed?
  2. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL New Member 1000 Posts

u need to check if the chevy bolt pattern on the block is the same then on the vortec block, if so ..it should fit no problem !!!
  3. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

It seems that, in perusing sites talking about transmission swaps like that, that they always say that the '95 4L60E is kind of its own animal -- it isn't "plug and play" swappable with other year 4L60E's. I don't remember the specifics, but '95 seems to be a transition year as they started using more pulse width modulation in the electronic controls to the transmission. How much of it is in the PCM and how much is in the transmission, I don't know. It would be worth further research before you get committed to the project.
  4. DAREDEVIL

I talked to a friend of mine ( tranny shop ) he said the 95 is the last year for the chevy 350 and the first for the 4L60E....they changed something on it after 95 so it will fit the Vortecs which came out in 96 !!!!! So my guess is thats why it is its own animal in 95 ?!

but a rebuild for that tranny is not that much, he said...he actually said he rather rebuild the tranny in the new one then swap it against the old one !!!

Hope this helps !
  5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Might be cheaperand easier to fix the A/C in the Suburban.
  6. jtwh20

jtwh20 New Member

Yeah I'm leaning towards that, (as I found the same info that the 95 was a one year wonder) but to be honest I was hoping to pick up a little MPG's as the 13MPG on the burb is starting to hurt...

Thanks Guys!!!
  7. DAREDEVIL

I would change the vortec and the tranny into the burb,,i am geting about 15 MPH and mine is a 2500 with 3500 rear dually and a 4X4 !!!!