1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

95 tahoe 4 wheel drive not working

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by shadetreedad, Feb 20, 2010.

1. shadetreedad

shadetreedad New Member

here's the deal. I just bought this truck and the 4 wheel drive doesn't work. I'm pretty sure I have narrowed it down to the shift actuator. here is whats going on. the drive shaft turns when the truck is shifted into 4 wheel drive. I have 12 volts at my shift actuator and my grounds are good. I took the actuator out and installed a used junk yard actuator and it still doesn't work. I can put the truck in 4 wheel drive and watch the actuator and it does not move. how ever if I apply 12 volts and a ground manually from the battery it does come out slowly. Does anyone know any for sure way to test these actuators? Any ideas? Thanks.........more info... today I bought a new actuator and the 4 wheel drive is still not working. Does anyone know where I can get the 4 wheel drive schematics for this truck?
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  2. Mumbles

Mumbles Member

I see this thread is a couple months old, but if you haven't been able to fix the problem you may want to check the vacuum switch on top of the tranfer case.

I know on my S10's its located on the driverside and has three vacuum lines running into the top of it. Once you remove it, you can see it has a ball valve located on the bottom. Sometimes this valve gets rusted and will stick and nolonger perform properly.

I hope this helps. Good luck.