1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

95 tahoe ball joints

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by bigdaddy77084, Jan 2, 2010.

1. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Can I do this in my garage? How hard is it to get the bottom ones out & the new ones in?
  2. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

U need a special tool to get them out and in !!!!!!!!

I think u are better of taking it to a shop.:great:
  3. bigdaddy77084

Do you have to press them in & out?
    Im restoring a 70 gto & they were a piece of cake. Can I rent the tool at the parts store?
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Auto Zone rents a tool to do the job. It isnt real hard to do just a pain.
  5. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Have they been changed before, or is this the first time? I ended up taking mine to a shop because the factory ball joints were installed using rivets. I didn't have the tools or patience to drill them out myself. Replacement joints use bolts instead of the rivets.

Have you read through a repair manual? I found the instructions in Chiltons and Haynes adequate for this job (just didn't want to deal with the rivets). I'd suggest reading through it to see if there's anything specific you have questions on.
  6. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I payed 50 bucks each side for the job and picked up the parts @ autozone for around 30 each. I do alot myself....but this money was worth not to do it in my driveway.

Can't safe more then that by doing it yourself.:great:
  7. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'm not trying to steal your thread or anything, but how do you know if your ball joints are bad? Do they make noise or what, just curious as I like to learn things like this as I go?? :glasses:
  8. bigdaddy77084

I jacked the front end up off the ground to service it & noticed the upper one is bad, Looks like they been replaced once cuz they are bolt on.
  9. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If thier replacements it makes the job a little easier, you still need the press but you wont have to drill/grind out the rivets, hopefully the bolts arent corroded.
    You can do this in the garage or driveway in a few hours but it wouldnt hurt to price it out at a local shop, sometimes if the price is right it's easier to let someone else do the dirty work.
  10. GA SIERRA

GA SIERRA New Member

You need to jack up the truck and support the lower control arms (set it on jack stands)and with a long bar under the tire pull up if there is any movement in the lower or upper ball joint you will see it as you pull up and let off. Also check side to side movement by grabbing the tire and moving it right to left just a little this will check your tie rods and idler arm and pittman arm.You can also check your bearings by grabbing the tire on top and bottom and moving it in and out,and if your upper ball joints are real bad they will move with this test too.