1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

95 Yukon "thunk" when coming to a complete stop

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 95YGT, Mar 16, 2009.

1. 95YGT

95YGT New Member

I have a 95 Yukon GT when I come to a complete stop you hear and feel a "thunk" noise in the back end.
    There is a slight but not as noticeable take off thunk as well. its as if the truck stops then settles, then thunk. I am good weekend mechanic but haven't been able to figure this one out yet. Any ideas or thoughts appreciated.

So far I have checked the following

Replaced U-Joints
    Checked Springs - good shape
    Checked Shocks - almost new
    Checked spare tire mounting

Recently had new rear brakes, but I didn't do them, previous owner did.
    As well I haven't pulled them to check the quality of work. But the truck
    is in great shape and runs perfect except for this.

TauniGT
  2. NEBRASKAHOE

NEBRASKAHOE New Member

i had that same problem. annoying as hell.lol. you ned to lube your rear spline.
  3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yes lube the rear spline and make sure you use the special GM grease. The grease made for this problem will not get washed off with the transmission fluid. Ford also makes a similar product if you cant find it elsewhere.
  4. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I believe thats an old problem in the rear drum system. Thats been a long standing problem with the old body style GM trucks.

Inspect rear drums and replace if neccessary
  5. 95YGT

95YGT New Member

Thanks everyone for your replies, I greases the spline with the SPECIAL grease :) and it went away.
  6. bcoffman

bcoffman Rockstar 100 Posts

I was doing some research and come across this. I know it is old but are you talking about pulling out the drive shaft and greasing the splines there? I have a clunk also but it also has a clicking sound from what sounds like the left rear wheel and a little vibration, almost like some kind of slipage, but only when I take off easy. If I take of quick there is nothing It sounds normal. I was going to take off the differential cover and look at the rear end. But any suggestion would be a great help. Thanks
  7. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Do you have a 2 piece drive shaft? The Center bearings on those can cause a vibration on light throttle take off.
  8. bcoffman

bcoffman Rockstar 100 Posts

I will check tomorrow I'm not sure since I only had it a less than a week.
  9. carnut802

carnut802 New Member

clunking

I too have that clunking when pulling away from a stoplight.The GM special lube has been put on the splines at the transfer case several times but it does't last.I have a 1999 Tahoe 4WD.GM is aware of the problem but i haven't heard of any permanet fix.The new Tahoes and Yukons apparently don't have this trouble.