1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

95 Z71 Heavy Half??

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by hskerprid, Mar 29, 2009.

1. hskerprid

hskerprid New Member

Hi All, first post and question. I've been told by my mechanic that I have a 3/4 ton - ton frame under my 1500. It has a couple of plastic tabs in the frame marked HD and I have noticed in my repair manual that there is a C3HD model. It is not mentioned often in the manual is this a "rare" thing? My VIN say's that my truck is just a normal 1500 but looking at the suspension you can tell that it's beefed up. If this is a heavy half would there have been any engine modifications to it? I would like to put a 383 in it as the 5.7 has 204,000 on it and is getting a little tired( doesn't burn oil though!) Any thought's on this being a rogue model? What have I got exactly? Any suggestions on the 383 swap? I will probably keep the stock 5.7 and re-build it and swap them as necessary. Thanks!
  2. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Do you have 6 lug or 8 lug axles on there?
  3. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Call a dealer's shop, give tem the vin and they can tell you wat the truck was when it rolled off the line.
  4. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

welcome to the site
  5. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!
  6. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site! There were some 'light duty" 3/4 tons sold in '95, but I don't know of any "heavy duty" 1/2 tons. The "VIN" should "tell the tale"!
  7. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!!!
  8. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!
  9. Darstedly

Darstedly Rockstar 100 Posts

Welcome aboard. 'T'is mystery all.
  10. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

There's probably more to it than anyone realizes. I know exactly what you're talking about, because my 2002 1500 Avalanche has the same little gray plastic tab on the frame that says HD on it. Suspension-wise my Avy is definitely a 1500, of that I have no doubts.

You might want to message 84Fiero123 and ask him. I haven't seen him online much lately but he used to work the assembly line at GM and might have some insight into what that's about.