95 z71 tranny problems

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by orod88, May 27, 2009.

1. orod88

orod88 New Member

ive got a 95 silverado z71 and ever since ive had it it has had tranny problems. i changed the tranny filter and nuthin new. when i put it into drive it doesnt start in 1st and it doesnt shift, but if i put it into 1st then manually shift it into second it eventually shifts and then i have to do the same for third but when i put it into drive it doesnt shift. any ideas as to what i could try or whats wrong?? thanx
  2. tpatterson

tpatterson New Member

the transmission is computer controled and uses solenoids to shift gears. it could also be a lose connection between the two. good luck.
  3. orod88

orod88 New Member

thanx for the suggestion but whats the easiest way to check those
  4. Z71_Man

Z71_Man New Member

When it comes to internal transmission issues I let the experts deal with this. I do a lot of own work but not on transmissions. I just had the same thing happen on my 03 and it was a shift solenoid. While he was in there I told him to change them both. New filter and fluid included $300
  5. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The first place to start is checking your trouble codes. Any number of things can cause shifting problems but the computer will tell which element is acting up. Check the codes and post them and we'll help you fix your truck.
  6. orod88

orod88 New Member

fuel pump jus went so gets put on the back burner but as soon as i get it i will post codes thanx for the help