1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

96 2500 7.4 long crank at start

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by 2500brick, Mar 23, 2007.

1. 2500brick

2500brick New Member

Sburban cranks 5 to 10 sec.befor it starts.Have installed new plugs,wires,and fuel filter.No help.Runs fine after it starts.
  2. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Is this something that it just recently started doing?

Once the engine has been shut down after running, if you start it again does it still take as long to start? For instance, shut it off, and restart within 5 minutes.
  3. Cableguy

Cableguy New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I didn't see cap and rotor in there?? Did you change these?
  4. 2500brick

2500brick New Member

It will restart if I try right away.If you even waite a min. it may not.The cap and rotor have been changrd also.
  5. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Check fuel pump pressure with ignition on, before going to start.

Also if you just turn the ignition to on and wait a few seconds before cranking does it start any better?

If it has weak pressure before start and builds slowly it could be a weak pump.
  6. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

That's what I was thinking.
  7. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

After reading my own post I should have added that if the pressure is good, then it could possibly be the ignition module.

Ignition modules do some funny things, at least I have seen them work and then not, or not work at all and then after spraying starting fluid in it would run until shut down, and then not run again until I sprayed more starting fluid.