1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

96 350 overheating

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by 96GMCSLE, Mar 1, 2014.

1. 96GMCSLE

96GMCSLE Member

I have a 96 GMC sierra that had a 4.3 vortec but it bent a rod so I did a 5.7 vortec swap. It runs beautifully, really purrs like a new born kitten except the coolant isn't circulating. I put a new thermostat in and it still wont circulate and keeps overheating. But when I undo the top hose on the 5.7 radiator it does come out when the truck is running. Please help!
  2. Scott_Anderson

Scott_Anderson Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Did the 4.3's use the same radiator as the 5.7?
    Sounds like you might need a larger(more cores).
  3. zuki82

zuki82 Member 100 Posts

sounds like you need a bigger rad.!
  4. 96GMCSLE

96GMCSLE Member

It does have a 350 radiator in it but it still wont circulate like the coolant isn't flowing into the motor is staying still. I did replace the water pump
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

If you leave the hose connected, will the rad get hot? The hot water should go from the engine to the rad using the top hose, the cooler water should go back to the engine using the lower hose. Are the hoses hot?

If the hoses are not hot, the water isn't flowing through the radiator, it must be blocked. Maybe a hose, maybe the t-stat, maybe the rad, but there is a blockage.
  6. 96GMCSLE

96GMCSLE Member

My grandpa figured it out. I guess that in some 5.7 swaps air will get into the radiator hoses and create a pocket just like in the brake lines and sure enough just had to bleed the pump and now she runs good. Thank you ones who helped me troubleshooting it