Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

96 5.7 week power

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by chevyguy1414, Aug 13, 2012.

1. chevyguy1414

chevyguy1414 New Member

hey guys,
    my 96 has been being pain lately. 150xxx miles in a k2500 8600gvwr. my year and a half of beating the thing finally caught up to me. i was playing in some mud and i ended up stripping the distributer gear. i replaced the whole distributer with a new cap and rotor. im 80% sure i have it in the right tooth and it is turned so the wires are perpendicular to the motor. i did not replace the plugs or wires because they only have 10,000 miles on them. so any way now the thing will pop and spudder when i accelerate sometimes. even if i let it warm up a little. and it feels like it does not have the power it should when i punch it from a stop, when im driving and it down shifts to pass or whatever it is fine. i borrowed one of them scanners from advanced auto and it said the timing was -21* to - 27* at idle. there's no codes by the way. when i punch it it will go any where from -7* to +7* right away then back to as far as -37*. all the sensors seam to be working according to this scanner. the other thing is when its idleing it idles rough and if i punch it in park it like lags for just a second before it responds. i heard of a CPS relearn and a TPS relearn or whatever and also something with the cam timing but this scanner cant do that so i think i need a snap on programer or whatever there called. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks guys.

2. dipstick

dipstick Member 2 Years 100 Posts

On these if you change dist. have to have a scan tool that will time or take it to a garage to time.
    Timing sets at 2 degree before of after tdc

3. chevyguy1414

chevyguy1414 New Member

I literary just got inside from doing just that. I had a buddy that's been working on these trucks for years help me out. thanks for the reply