Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

96 Blazer sputtering after replacing gasket

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 2009silverado, Dec 11, 2009.

1. 2009silverado

2009silverado Rockstar

Hey guy's. I have had some crappy luck with my 96 blazer lately. It kept overheating and then started losing water. So I started with the easy stuff. Replaced the Thermostat. Still lost water with overheating. Then I noticed the radiator was leaking...Replaced that. Totally unrelated but I also replaced the U-joints in the drive shaft around this same time cause the needle barrings were shot had that was a pain...Evidently you have to use a torch to melt the wax plugs out of the shaft to release the old u-joint. The I noticed the water pump was leaking. Replaced that to. Then it was leaking from somewhere down the motor poring down the bell-housing. After looking around I realized that under the air compressor was water so I bought a intake gasket set and replaced that. That was a pain and I had to pull the distributor out. I marked the rotor button to line it back up after re-installing it and the truck runs, WITH NO LEAKS! YEAH...But it seems to be sputtering at idle and when I floor it, it don't peal out like it would before but after it start going it smooths out. I guess it is a timing issue at this point. could I be one tooth off or something or would simple turning the distributor while running bring it back to running right...Here is some picks of the rebuild.
    1996 blazer 4.3 liter V-6

Attached Files:

2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would re-install the distributor to make sure it was correct. How did you set the initial timing? Any dtc codes?
  3. 2009silverado

2009silverado Rockstar

I only marked the rotor button on the distributor and the back of the firewall. Once I put it back in I just lined it up with my marks..LOL...I no, crude way of doing things.