1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

96 Burban rear axle differential.

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Bougaev, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Bougaev

Bougaev New Member

Hi there!
    I've found that one of the previous Burb owners got rid of the rear diff locker. Now I want to restore it. I checked Ebay for it, but there are the whole axle lots only.
    Do You have any ideas, where I should seek?
    As far as I understand it looks like that:
    [​IMG]
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

Depending if you are planning on just putting the factory G80 back in or if you are planning to step up to somthing like an ARB air locker (which is awsome because you flip a switch and you have a posi in the rear).. But ARB makes great lockers and so does Detroit. As for a G80 im not to sure where you would be able to get one other than an actual GM dealer etc... And i know your in Russia so that may pose a problem for a Suburban part. but the other options can be ordered off of the net.
  3. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Another option, where you have the open carrier, might be to look into the "lunchbox" lockers like the Powertrax lockright or the Detroit EZ locker.
  4. Bougaev

Bougaev New Member

I have some ideas about ARB or Detroit locker... But 99% of time I use the car onroad, so I don't see the need to improve my offroad abilities much too much. But self-blocking factory diff - might be usefull.
    You're right, here we have some of that items, but it costs over $1500. I think, that ordering from US will cost at least twice cheaper!
    So, maybe You have a link to some of e-stores with GM parts?
    I usually order from LMC Trucks and Ebay, but this time they are unable to help me.

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

Thanks for a Powertrax! Reading about it now.
  5. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I would be inclined to ask how you know that the previous owners pulled the locker? It seems awfully fishy to spend a heap of money to go from a limited slip diff to an open diff, UNLESS the locker was somehow damaged, and even then it would probably be cheaper to repair than replace the locker with an open carrier and reset the gears.

As for replacement selections, all the above mentioned are just fine. ARBs actually go from open to spool, not limited slip and require lots of extra money in additional parts, so for quick and easy, I'd say go with a detroit locker.