Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

96 chevy 1500

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Rlstratton, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Rlstratton

Rlstratton New Member

Two days ago truck was ok. But this weekend i needed to drive an hour to work and back both sat and sun. Total milage probably around 240 or 250. At the end of today getting off the highway, as she shifted fron first to second (automatic), she gave a kick then drove normally. Then i stopped, and then accelerated, and she gave another kick going from first to second. After this i also noticed my "service engine soon" light was on. Can anyone give me a clue about what could cause this?

2. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

At the risk of sounding stupid, have you checked the Trans Fluid level?

3. Rlstratton

Rlstratton New Member

Oh ill accept your stupid questions if you accept mine. Yes i checked the fluid as soon as i parked, following the procedure written in the owners manual. The fluid on the dipstick did not fall within the "hot" section, instead it seems like the fluid is well over the mark. Could having too much tranny fluid have a negative affect on my transmission? And would it cause the kicking i experienced the other day?
    I had to drive her a short distance today, no highway travel this time, and i didnt experience the kick that i felt the other day. Service engine light is still on.

4. jdsfighter

jdsfighter New Member

Too much transmission fluid can cause some internal damage to the transmission itself. What you're describing is nearly identical to what was happening to my truck about 2 weeks ago, and if you find my thread in this forum, I'm now going through the steps of replacing my transmission.

I'm not entirely sure of all the possible causes of what you're describing, but I don't think it is just chance that you're a little full on fluid.

5. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

There is also a kick down cable at the Throttle Body.

I know it is adjustable.

Not sure if could be something that simple.

But it does sound like there is a new transmission in your future.

6. Strino78

Strino78 Member

No kickdown on a '96. Its a 4L60E electronic, not the older 700R4/4L60.
    Started a new topic.. hoping that the diagnosis isn't as critical as claimed... the transmission is toast.. the sunshell worn out.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/88778-Troubleshoot-96-chevy-1500#axzz1sWRAXCqw

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012