1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

96 chevy 5spd

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by edean37, Feb 5, 2011.

1. edean37

edean37 New Member

sorry in advance ...im sure this is talked about but im ready to walk out the door for work

my friend tommorow is junking a 96 chevy truck that has the 5.0 4x4 and a 5spd tranny

i have a 00 silverado 4.8 4x4 5spd that has a junk tranny

question is will they swap???

if so any mods

If not why keeps them from swaping

Thanks in advance
  2. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL New Member 1000 Posts

I think they are the same ones....but not 100% sure tho. I will get back at you and check it out.
    Maybe somebody else knows better then me .
  3. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

They are not the same tranny at all. they 88-98 5spd wasnt really a strong tranny, and the newer ones had updates that made them stronger. Im not to sure the model/number differences.
    The bellhousing bolt pattern is different, as well as i believe the output shaft spline count is different. also the crossmembers are different from what i can remeber.
  4. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL New Member 1000 Posts

Yup, ...just found out !! NO MATCH...can it be done ..yes, but probably easyer to get yours fixed !