1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

96 Chevy Suburban tranny issue

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Chip60, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Chip60

Chip60 New Member

Hi, I have a 96 Chevy Suburban and this summer the tranny started slipping when it gets hot. It seems to work okay when it is cold. I was wondering if changing the filter and fluids would resolve this, or if there is any additive that will help, or if I am going to have to rebuild the Tranny.
    Thanks

it has the 350 small block
    I believe it is a Turbo 350 tranny

PS: Is there a way to decode my VIN to tell me exactly which transmision it is?
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Welcome to the Site.....Have you checked the Transmission's Fluid level?? also when checking the level, the Color of the Fluid should be Red(Pink in Color).........if the Color has a Brown Tint to it and smell's Burned, that's Not Good......and as far as what Transmission your 96" Suburban has, it is Most likely a 4L60e.......the way to check, is in your glove box is a White Sticker, that's call a Service Parts I.D. Tag and on it is your SUV's Vin# Number and a Series of Letters and Number's......those are RPO Codes, in short what your SUV came with from the Factory.......and the RPO code for the 4L60e.....is M30.....

If you go to the Below link, you will be able to De-code all of those RPO Codes......from the Engine to the Color of your interior,

http://www.rpocodes.com/
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011