96 Chevy tahoe problem fuel problem? Need help ASAP!

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Fear58, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Fear58

Fear58 New Member

Hey all
    I'm stuck here at my university and I need to get home! Its about a 3 hour drive, and my 96 chevy tahoe wont start. When I try to turn it over, the truck acts as if its not getting a spark and wont ignite.

Here are the things I have tried and have found out.

1. Not a battery issue (tried charging it with cables and jumping it).
    2. The plugs ARE in fact sparking (took one out and had it arc to the exhaust manifold... good strong spark).

This leads me to believe it is a fuel related issue of some sort? I tried this...

1. Turning the ignition on and hearing the fuel pump engage... it is.
    2. take the fuel pump fuse out ... when its out the fuel pump does not turn on, so the fuse is good.
    3. I DO have gas (half tank).

I still think its a fuel problem of some sort though...Im not sure of what else it would be? I thought if I took the fuel line off the fuel injector, and tried to turn it over, it would squirt a little gas out and let me know its at least getting that far but I DONT know which line the fuel line is. And would gas squirt out?

I'm pretty much a newbie to all this and any help would be MUCH appreciated!
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help/knowledge!

2. Fear58

Fear58 New Member

Anyone have any ideas?

3. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

To diagnose a fuel problem you will need a fuel pressure gauge. You can spray some starting fluid or carb cleaner into the air inlet to see if it will start. If it starts, then you have a fuel problem. Clogged filter, injectors or bad pump? Change the fuel filter. If no improvement get that pressure tested. Fuel pumps are a common problem. If the fuel pressure is good and the fuel filter has been changed then one or more injectors is suspect.

4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Try putting the pedal to the floor, it will stop the gas from coming (it sloses the loop supposedly)in on start-up, could ba a coolant temp sensor and then it would be flooding the truck if that is shot. It works on super cold days when my wifes crysler turd wont start.

5. Fear58

Fear58 New Member

Im going to test the pressure in the bit, I just saw the thumb screw to test. I would have a hard time believing it would be the fuel pump as I just put a new one in 6 months ago.. but all the same, I guess these tahoes are rough on the fuel pump. I just ran the OBD1 through it and no codes were stored, so probably not a sensor?

Dunno, one step at a time I guess. Im gonna make a run to kragen for some hot start fluid and a gauge. Ill keep posting!

6. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Fuel pressure regulator can also be a source of the pressure issue. Also a restricted return line. I have even experienced an incorrect gas cap cause problems. Let us know what you find with the pressure test.