Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

'96 Suburban 7.4L, Won't start, scanner won't read codes

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by EFransen, Dec 11, 2008.

1. EFransen

EFransen New Member

Need some help. My '96 K2500 Suburban died on my wife while driving home. It cranks, but won't start. Checked for secondary spark - none. Checked fuses, all good. Checked coil, checked good. Replaced crankshaft position sensor on a hunch, didn't work. Borrowed a scanner & plugged in and it won't recognize that it is plugged into the truck! Checked scanner on another car, it's working fine. Re-checked fuses, all good. Ideas?

2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Did you check for fuel pressure at the same time?

The usual reason a scanner won't recognize when it's plugged in is because there is no power from the vehicle to the diagnostic port. On GM's, they routed this power through, I believe, the cigarette lighter fuse, and usually it is determined that the fuse is bad. If you insist that the fuses are all good, then you need to determine if you have power to the diagnostic port, and, if not, find out why.

3. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yep, sounds like there's a break in the power going to certain points in the truck.

Welcome to the forum btw!

4. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

agreed!

Welcome to the site!

5. EFransen

EFransen New Member

Thanks for the help! Did find that the fuse to the cigarett lighter was bad, didn't check that one before. Now the scanner reads, no codes though. I didn't check the fuel pressure yet, started trying to track down why there was no secondary spark. Re-checked to be sure, and still no spark. Ideas?

6. Toymyster

Toymyster Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm trying to remember, did 96 still have a distributor? If they do, the ignition module and/ or pickup coil would be my prime suspect. Also, do check your fuel pressure, like shorty mentioned. And check all your fusible links. Other than that, I'd do a pin by pin on the ECM itself!

7. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Yes they have a Ign Module, inside the Distributer, sound as if it has quit working.........

Jeff