96 suburban engine died while driving on freeway

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by sameday09, Jul 18, 2009.

Newest Photos

1. sameday09

sameday09 New Member

Tried to start after pulling over, no success. I had it towed home and check for spark, ok. I checked to see if fuel pump was working, ok. I check little air valve looking thing on fuel line in engine compartment and got fuel to squirt on ignition. I checked air filter, ok. I took off cover to top of carb, and primed w/gas, engine started for a little while. Is there a simple fix to this problem.

SameDay09
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

My guess would be a clogged fuel filter. When's the last time you changed it?
  3. budfreak

budfreak New Member

He said when he checked the schrader valve on the fuel rail that fuel squirted out which means there is pressure and the truck should start. Sounds like the injectors are not firing.
  4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

There may not be enough pressure for the injector to spray. Who knows, it may very well be a crank sensor causing no pulse to the injectors. Checking for codes would shed some light on it.
  5. budfreak

budfreak New Member

Agreed, a check for codes should always be the first thing done.
  6. dsquared

dsquared New Member

Check actual fuel pressure. Low pressure will produce a squirt at the schrader valve on the the fuel line but might not be enough to start or sustain running of the engine. As posted earlier replace your fuel filter if you haven't done so for a while. Dirty fuel filter can greatly reduce the fuel pump life as can operating the vehicle when your fuel level is below 1/4 tank.
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If the engine will stumble along if you feed it fuel or ether, than it's definitely a delivery problem. Start at the beginning and work your way up. Confirm fuel pressure first, and go from there.

BTW, Spark in the engine bay does not guarantee spark in the combustion chamber. I don't think this is your problem, but food for thought. What are your plugs gapped at? Hood sticker probably says .065. Try cranking them down to .040.