96 Suburban timing chain

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by DeadHead, Aug 18, 2010.

1. DeadHead

DeadHead Rockstar

Alright, I'm thinking of replacing my timing chain and possibly my timing gear(s). I've got basic hand tools, a decent mechanical knowlege, and a mechanically inclined friend to help. Is this something that could be done in my driveway in a few hours or am I'm biting off more than I can chew?

2. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It's completely doable. The only specially tools you would need are a harmonic balancer puller and possibly a gear puller.
    Let us know how it goes. :)

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Why do you want to change the timing gear set? They are roller gear sets and don't wear and strech like the '95 and older trucks do. Are you having trouble?

4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Another thing that consider is that the front timing cover may be partially covered by the oil pan. I'm not sure if it's the case with the 5.7, but the 7.4 is definitely like this. My uncle broke the front timing cover on his 7.4 because he didn't know he had to take the pan off first. If this is the case with the 5.7, it will require lifting the motor, which makes the process more difficult and time consuming.

5. DeadHead

DeadHead Rockstar

I was told in passing that the gears are plastic and that with darn near 220K miles they're more than likely needing replaced. Now this came from an OLD chevy gear head and I'm not relying on his opinion 100% But as far as problems; nothing to speak of with ignition, just trying to stay on top of things to prevent problems. I wasn't neccessarily planning on replacing the gears, more looking into how hard it would be if they need it. I'm pretty sure the timing chain does need replaced, though.

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

Luckily the local Oreilly's loans out these tools. I'll probably get cracking on this project this weekend, depending on $$$. Oh, if only money didn't matter...

6. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

On my 1998 5.7 Suburban they were steel.I changed them at 210,000 miles, but there didn't seem to be ANY wear to speak of.
    I was doing something else and figured what the heck.
    The timing cover is plastic and is considered a one use only part.It-the cover- is about $50 on Ebay-genuine GM part.
    You need a puller and a harmonic balancer installer and something to pull the gears-auto zone will loan them out.
    Luck
    Charlie

7. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Only the 7.4 has this annoying configuration.

8. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Thanks for filling us in, ive been reading this a bit..

9. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Trail leader- I'm 99% sure I did have to drop my oil pan-1998 Suburban 2wd 1/2 ton- to remove replace the timing cover. Of course the oil pan gasket is a pain in the neck one with a big upward curve at the front-maybe reusable-not cheap-maybe $25 or so. Timing cover is supposed to be not reusable-$50 ebay.

10. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

NO need to drop oilpan, only cut off the ears on the timing cover and seal with good black gasket maker !!!!!!

But i agree on the NO wear !!!! No need to change it !