1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

96 Tahoe misfire cyl 2 after sitting a while

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Conlan Rose, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

So my old girl keeps having a problem of misfiring after sitting for 3-4 days. The truck doesn't lose power but it just runs like crap. A flashing DTC for the misfire goes and then once the truck warms up a bit she runs great with 0 problems and the flashing stops. I read the code and it says theres a cylinder 2 misfire. i'm not sure whats causing the problem since if the truck is started every day she has no issues.

I would love some advice on this so I can get it fixed up.
  2. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

My old Silverado acted like that on cold starts when I first got it. A new set of spark plugs, some fuel injector cleaner and a fresh fuel filter got it running like new again. It's a good place to start if either of those are fairly old. Checking your air filter and cleaning your mass airflow sensor probably won't fix the problem, but they'd be good things to do while you're at it.
  3. skjl47

skjl47 New Member

Hello; Perhaps the injector is leaking down after sitting for a time. This may allow excess fuel in that cylinder and ceate an over rich condition untill warmed up. This may also foul the plug a bit untill the fuel burns off.
  4. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

my 95 did the same thing. It only had 65,000 miles. I always chalked it up to a valve sticking.
  5. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I have the new fuel filter just haven't had the time to replace it. I cleaned the MAF about a month ago which helped the truck a bit and she has new plugs as of December this year, changed at about 199,000, currently at 201,400. Oil was changed about a month ago and I ran seafoam through the tank about the same time. Its likely just the truck disliking driving 120 miles of highway each weekend and then just sitting until halfway through the week for my night out and sitting again til the weekend.

I just hope it isn't hurting the truck too bad.
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I would recommend pulling the #2 plug and getting a look at how it's burning, but if I remember correctly the last time you pulled plugs you ended up with a bigger problem.