96 Yukon barn door won't open

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by Rglidden, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Rglidden

Rglidden New Member

I recently bought a 96 Yukon. I love it, but it needs a little TLC. I have the rear barn doors, and the passenger side door opens fine, but the driver side door won't open at all. When I pull on the handle it will unlatch at the top, but the bottom latch stays closed. What can I do to fix this? I've tried hosing what I can reach down with WD40, but it's still stuck fast.

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If you can't get it open, you will have to pull the panel from the inside. Chances are that a rod clip is broken or came off the bottom latch or the handle.

3. Sometimes too it doesn't come off but needs to be tightened. mine did this and confused the crap outta me because everything was still connected and moving when i pulled on the rod. sometimes it loosens up just enough to not have enough pull when using the handle.

Getting the panel off is a piece of cake... just be conscious of sun brittle with those panels i was too aggressive with mine and had to make a junk yard run.

4. Bighornkid

Bighornkid Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Welcome to The Club. I agree with Pikey. I had the same thing happen to me. The rod clip came off.