96 Z71 Pitman arm and Idler arm replacement

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Andrew Schippers, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Andrew Schippers

Andrew Schippers New Member

I need to replace the pitman arm and idler arm on my 1996 Silverado K1500 before I can get it aligned properly. I usely do all the work on my truck myself with the help of my chilton, but it does not have the steps to replace these parts. Does anyone have Intructions or the steps to remove and relpace these parts?

2. sharpshooterusmc

sharpshooterusmc Rockstar 100 Posts

its not to hard to do, u gunna have to pull the skid plate off, take the tie rods off of the steering knuckle, after u take the bolt off, just wack the knuckle with a hammer and it will pop out, then u take the nuts off that hold the center link to the idler and pitman arms and use a puller to get them off, the undo the nuts that hole the idler and pitman arms on, then use the puller to take them off, the pitman arm is gunna take some work, ur gunna need a heavy duty puller and a good impact cuz ur truck is a 96 and its not gunna come off easy

1 person likes this.
  3. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the site!:glasses: Glad to have you here!

4. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the GMTruckClub! Sounds like the Marines came to your rescue!

5. armandjones82

armandjones82 New Member

Nice instructions on how to replace the pitman arm and idler arm. It was so much informative and it gives me new ideas on how to do it. Keep it up!