'97 2500 HD Steering shake under braking

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by roberth1970, Oct 13, 2013.

1. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

yep, bigger hammer is usually the trick. Some came with a threaded hole on the rotor mounting face that a bolt could thread in and help remove (dont think it was chevy though)

2. roberth1970

roberth1970 New Member

It's all going well:- both hubs, rotors, calipers and lines replaced. I've bled the system and the pedal seems hard-ish without the engine on, but I didn't bleed that much fluid out. I did pre-fill the calipers and lines so hopefully I'm good, if not I guess it's just a case of bleeding more.

As ever the second wheel took 1/3 of the time of the first.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

3. T-REX Grilles

T-REX Grilles New Member

Robert,

If you had an issue with any of the steering components or a hub issue, it would manifest itself during normal driving, either during a turn or after hitting a bump in the road. I am quite confident that your problem is in the brakes.

I've got an 07 Tahoe and had the same shaking issues. Turns out the rotors were warped. After turning the rotors and installing new pad imagine my dismay when the wobble turn up again after about 5,000 miles. Pulled everything off again and bought new rotors. Damn if it didn't happen again. Looked into it further and found sticking pistons on the caliper. Replaced the caliper and all is well. Should have replaced the whole lot after the second time. Lesson learned, but if it's in your budget, and you want to be sure to fix the issue and not have to deal with it again, turn the rotors, install new pads and replace the calipers.

Hope this helps.

Tom

4. roberth1970

roberth1970 New Member

Yup, while I had it torn down I decided to replace the hub, rotor, caliper and hoses. It's all lookin good, but I need to bleed some more fluid I think. I'm not sure how hard the pedal is supposed to feel but it's a bit soft without the engine on.

brake.jpg

I need to work out a way to hold the new hose down as the original one is wrapped in a small steel tab. That should be fairly easy to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Crap! - the brakes stop well until the very end and then there is a noise and a grabbing feeling - is this normal for new pads on slotted and drilled rotors? Just a break in thing?

5. roberth1970

roberth1970 New Member

Ok, it was just a break in thing. I went out and did the prescribed sequence of stops. The brakes are now pretty good. I found a gravel parking lot and got the ABS to kick in too.