1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

'97 5.7 Thermostat

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by kjb13, Oct 28, 2009.

1. kjb13

kjb13 New Member

My thermostat is stuck open, I think. The temp is running about 150 to 160 and my mileage dropped. The thermostat bolts are both REALLY tight. Any hints on how to loosen them without damaging anything in the process???
  2. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

For fasteners like the tstat bolts, I like to shock them without over torquing them. One of my favorite tools for this is the impact driver. The vibration and the incremental torque tends to get most screws, nuts, and bolts loose. If you have to replace the bolts, avoid dissimilar metals, and chase the threads in the block.
    [​IMG]
  3. kjb13

kjb13 New Member

I completely forgot about an impact driver. Good suggestion.
    Thanks.
  4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

If you don't have an impact driver take a large punch and hammer and strike the bolt several times square in the center of the bolt. This will loosen it up for you.
  5. Loggerhead Mike

Loggerhead Mike New Member

carefull with it, t-stat bolts on the 350's are common to break off

i let them sit in penetration fluid for a few minutes before wrenching them off
  6. kjb13

kjb13 New Member

Appreciate the helpful hints. Thanks and have a great day.