97 5.7 upgrades

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by mudking4717, Sep 5, 2010.

1. mudking4717

mudking4717 New Member

Look to get a little more hp out of my truck it all stock all i got is headers and a flowmaster. needs a tune up looking for little things here and there just for a little more hp when towing in the mountians

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

CompCams have several nice cams for the '96-'99 Vortec's

3. AL3X

AL3X Rockstar

if want to get some lost power you can try this: seafoam in your gas tank, oil, and vaccum line does make a difference. you can also clean your throttle body with those bottles they sell at Autozone.And clean your MAF sensor with this other bottle they sell at Autozone. just with those things your truck will feel more responsive and maybe restore a couple ponies you lost. i did this to my truck and it made a noticeable difference.
    you might also want to get an intake but in real world gains are 5 ponies in a lucky day

4. DeadHead

DeadHead Rockstar

I definately agree that a good cleaning of those parts really makes a difference. I did all of that and got a world of difference out of my 96 K1500 suburban. I also replaced the dist. cap and rotor, plugs and wires, and dropped in a clamp-on filter from a K&N competitor (better price, same performance!) All in all after just a small junk-o-change I've got better throttle response, more get-up-and-go, and better fuel economy. Take care of it and the 5.7 will run like a champ for decades!

5. mudking4717

mudking4717 New Member

I'v done all that I stay on top of all my services new plugs wires cap rotor i have a k&N. I just did a true dual exaust no cats just dual flowmaster 40s. That made a difference I'v headers on it but now I have no leaks. Just put a 10 foot cabover on her hooking up my trailer with my 4 wheel drive F 150 doing a road trip to washinton for a week then over to indiana for a week then back to az. Will see how she dose.

6. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Sounds like your off to a good start.

Like the others said... a clean motor will make a good deal of difference.