97 Burban that wont come out of Park

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Allmostsmart, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Allmostsmart

Allmostsmart Rockstar

So I got in my truck the other night and it cranked right up but would not come out of park. I tried wiggling the truck a bit to see maybe if it was binding, but no joy. I thought so cause I am in Kodiak, Alaska and everything is on a hill here. I turned the truck off and on a couple times and it shifted out of park perfectly. Today it did the same thing but it was not as easy. Several wiggles and turning the truck off and on later it finally shifted. When it does shift, it isn't ruff or it doesn't bind. Any help would be great.

2. Kraziken

Kraziken Rockstar 100 Posts

3. Allmostsmart

Allmostsmart Rockstar

Thanks man, I appreciate the quick reply. I was kinda aiming that way but being on an incline just kinda scared me that something was binding. I will look for that override now. Thanks again for your help.

4. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

My '99 did this last year intermittantly. I replaced the brake light switch and it still did it. It turned out to be a broken wire just above the brake light switch that was making contact sometimes and not sometimes.

5. Allmostsmart

Allmostsmart Rockstar

Yeah I looked under there last night but everything looked good. I am searching for a switch and does anyone know where the manual release is on my 97. It wasn't mentioned in my Chiltons manual.

6. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have never had a car/truck with a manual release on a column shift. You can disassemble the interlock that resides in the column beneath the steering wheel if you have to, but it seems that it would be easier to troubleshoot the brake/shifter interlock. The 97 has a relay that looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    Check out the autopartsshop.com for more info.

7. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

It could also be your parking Pawl getting stuck now since so many hillside parkings! They will get jammed into position, wear and become hard coming out of park.....

Jeff

8. Scott77

Scott77 Member

Had the same problem with my 97 Tahoe, just reached up under the column and unhooked the linkage to the interlock, it's of no value unless you have a habit of trying to throw it from park to drive without holding the brake. Follow the trans shift cable up the column untill you see an extra linkage with a wire coming out of it, it is a ball/socket, just pop it off the shift cable (pull towards pass side).

9. Allmostsmart

Allmostsmart Rockstar

I like it, Thanks to all.