1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

97 chevy 2500, will start sometimes

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by arcirrigation, Apr 18, 2013.

1. arcirrigation

arcirrigation New Member

really weird, turn key and will sometimes get all dash lights to come and truck will start, the next time I turn the key only half of dash lights will come on and truck will crank over but wont fire. replaced positive cable to alternator check all other positive cables in good shape, installed a new battery... the strangest thing off all is if we jack up front of truck will work every time, or if we put a battery charger to it will go every time..... thinking maybe we need to redo the ground, or a fluid sensor...
  2. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would check your grounds.
  3. arcirrigation

arcirrigation New Member

thanks that's what we were thinking of trying next...
  4. Crispyt

Crispyt Rockstar 100 Posts

Sounds like a groud issue to me. Make sure the ground wire from the engine to the body is good as well. In some rare cases ive seen where if you have a tilt steering wheel it can cause the wires in the piviot part of the colum to break if its old and was never really moved untill recently. Probably not the issue but i've seen it happen a couple times causig weird things like that. Other than those it's possable that your ignition switch is bad too. Not the key/tumbler part but the actrual electronic part of it behind the tumble piece.

Hope this helps a little good luck!