'97 dash lights not working

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by safetyfast, Jun 11, 2009.

1. safetyfast

safetyfast New Member

Got in my truck tonight and the dash lights aren't on. Changed the fuse with no luck and the dimmer does not make them come on. Still have the warning lights and the led for the PRNL321. Is the bulb dead and how hard is replacement?

2. safetyfast

safetyfast New Member

Well, I figured out the instrument panel removal. I'm amazed at how easy it is. However, the bulbs weren't burned out. That leads me to wonder if it's not the dimmer switch. Anyone know how to check a dimmer switch?

3. grimreapersshadow

grimreapersshadow Rockstar 100 Posts

not sure on exactly how but there cheep to get a new one check out www.lmctruck.com probably would be the best solution instead of messing around with a junkyard piece that could burn up /melt other parts

4. safetyfast

safetyfast New Member

Probably not a bad idea. I'm waiting on an LMC catalog.

5. grimreapersshadow

grimreapersshadow Rockstar 100 Posts

6. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I can almost guarantee that it is the dimmer switch. When it is dark, turn the switch for the dash lights, if you see the lights flicker, then it is the dimmer switch. The little contact that heats up and bends to break the conection then straightens back out to reconnect is busted. My gf's Sonata did this, and her grandpaw didn't believe me. Cost him $200 for a $20 fix.

7. safetyfast

safetyfast New Member

Good news. It's fixed. Fuse number 9, which is labled "parking lights" was blown and that fixed it. Didn't expect dash lights to be on that fuse.

8. jmeastbend

jmeastbend New Member

Dash lights not working

98 Silverado fuse # 9 fixed the dash lights not working.
    Thanks a lot.