1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

97 Flasher problems!!!

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by toasterooney, Jun 16, 2010.

1. toasterooney

toasterooney New Member

Ok, I'm pulling my hair out and don't have any to spare! I have a 97 Silverado 1500, Ext. cab, 5.7, etc. I now have a problem with my flashers: they work fine (left, right, and hazards), UNTIL I press the brake pedal. When I press the brake, I hear something (I assume a relay) buzz for about 1/2 a second and then flashing stops and all brake/marker lights are on solid (front and rear).
    I've replaced the flasher relay (under hood), the brake light switch, and finally the flasher arm assembly (in the steering column). I'm at a loss for what to do next! Any help is much appreciated!
  2. trapperdon

trapperdon New Member

sounds like you have a bad bulb / wire to the brakes & tail light.
    everything fine till you step on brake? you've got an overloaded condition
    that is surging max power to the lights in the turn circuit, kinda jumping accross the path...

have you tried changing out BOTH of the tail light bulbs?
    oh, do you have an aftermarket tail light or accent cover on the brake lens? check those.
    some wire or piece of metal is bridging the gap to the turn signals from the brakes
    :neutral:
  3. cobra2end

cobra2end New Member

Do you pull a trailer with it try checking to make sure you dont have any wires for the trailer plug shorting out.
  4. toasterooney

toasterooney New Member

Update

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions! Just an update on the problem, as it's been quite a while since I've messed with it... When either turn signal is on, both sides flash in the rear, and only the correct one in the front. But when I press the brake, all flashers stay on solid. Don't know if that changes anything...
    Anyway, all light bulbs work and flash like they should. I also replaced the "boards" the bulbs plug into this morning. I don't pull a trailer with any regularity, and that was my first suspicion when this problem started. I found what I would call the trailer wiring tee (where the wiring comes to the back to the wide, flat plug, one side goes to the R, the other L), and there was an inline plug going to my trailer 4 pin. I pulled that out first thing.
    It sounds like it's a trip to the mechanic, be damned if I have to chase wires all the way up and down that thing... Anybody want to buy a truck in KC?:rofl: