1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

97 fuel pump fail

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Randaroo, Mar 11, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Randaroo

Randaroo New Member

i'm thinking fuel pump fail, so befor i pull the box and get in there...

-periodic stumble on highway, since, a long time now
    -last night climbing long hill, began to fade then went over the hill with no power, at the other side i rolled into "mountain Woman's" burgers in britannia beach where it died.
    -fired up twice, no power, no go, died.
    -no start after that.
    -fuel pump relay clicks when ign turned on
    -no pump noise at all

-also eng cheak light came on, first CEL flashing on highway as i slowed down and then CEL full time on when ign turned on(since then).

towed home
    -this AM fuel in throat, engine fires.
    still as before, CEL on, relay clicks, no pump sound.

BTW its a 6cyl, 4x4 ext cab 1997, auto k1500

anything else i should check or is it pump/pump wire connections?
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  2. dipstick

dipstick New Member 100 Posts

Could check for power at gray wire at pump connection or at relay..need to scan man...will tell you what is going on.
  3. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Bad fuel pump does seem like a good guess. However, because the pump is a fairly expensive and irritating part to replace, I'd check a few other things before replacing the pump.

1) Get a voltmeter and a wiring diagram and be certain the relay is closing.
    2) It only takes a few minutes to put a fuel pressure gauge on it and make sure that it isn't generating any pressure.
    3) Check fuses.
    4) Make sure the computer is getting power, since the computer is responsible for telling the relay to close.

I'm sure there are other possible quick tests. There's a good chance you'll go through all or some of these and decide that the pump is bad. Personally, I would rather go into a pump replacement mostly certain that the pump really was bad. It would really irritate me to replace the pump, and then find out that it was really the fuse or other simple thing.
  4. Randaroo

Randaroo New Member

thank you
    BTW I'm a considerable distance, out on a farm from any dealer or good garage(30 miles)
    i don't have a pressure gauge or scanning tool.
    I will also cheak the relay. Maybe find one around this dump somewhere...
    but i will try the gray wire, power it to run the pump, yes?
    Or do you know which post is the one out of the relay to the pump, or is that obvious when i get looking at it?
  5. dipstick

Can jumper gray wire at relay...with a wire from battery...i think your truck has a fuel pump test wire under the hood on driver side .
    But if you hear relay click on .probably pump.
  6. Randaroo

Randaroo New Member

No power at pump, gray wire.
    can the oil sender cut power to the pump?

unfortunatly it is snowing like crazy here and the truck isn't in the shop, I scrambled under the truck in the mush to get the box off, sheesh!
  7. dipstick

That is another story in itself some say yes i say no..on the oil sending unit.
    If you take a wire from positive to gray wire will be bypassing all...if pump does not run ..only one other thing to check ground at fuel tank
    maybe broke or corroded.
  8. Randaroo

Randaroo New Member

I sure do apreciate your sage advice.
    i will get to the pump wires again, i noticed the grounds(2) are separate and i may have tied into the wrong one. one sender the other to pump.
    i'll get to it as soon as this storm passes. Whistler just got 130cm's in the last 48 hours! Just up the road, sort of, from me.
    Thanks again. I'll post if anything changes and will be searching the farmers about for a scan tool as the engine light is trying to tell me something i'm sure.
  9. Randaroo

Randaroo New Member

OK got a reader from a friend up here...
    FC stored "0"
    Non support VIN
    MIL statos "off"

thats what i got, what do you think?
  10. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The first tells you there are no fault codes stored I think.

The second means the VIN isnt supported for that reader?

The last one has to do wit the illumination of an indiactor if thee is problem with emmisions/driveability.

I am no expert on these scanners so I could be totally off but nothing there helps with your issue it seems/