1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

97 gmc 1500 4WD Problem

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by smithsonian12, Sep 20, 2013.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. smithsonian12

smithsonian12 New Member

So I've noticed a problem with my 4WD. I don't know if it is the button or it is the actuator. It will kick it every once in a while. I will put it in neutral, and try all the buttons I even hold them in for a few seconds and it won't kick on. The lights do not light up.

2. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Could be the switch on the dash. Check your fuses for 4WD too.

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

None of the lights? The 2wd light is not on all the time? If that is the case then I would pull the switch out and check the connections on the back. If that is not the culprit then open the switch and check the solder connections.

4. darnie1987

darnie1987 Rockstar 100 Posts

its your shift acutator.... im 99% sure. there know for wigging out befor they go out. mine did the same thing and it fixed the issue.

5. zebra308

zebra308 Rockstar

I am having a similar issue with my '97 suburban..I changed the dash switch and it still did not illuminate in 2wd. When you indicated it's the actuator. Is it the one on the front differential or the one on the transmission?
    Thanks,

6. Pikey

I don't think that the actuator would cause the 2wd light not to function. Crawl under the truck and check all the connections at the transfer case. unplug them and then plug them back in. It could just be a corroded connection or it may be the encoder motor on the t-case

7. zebra308

zebra308 Rockstar

OK,
    here's another part of the story....the tcase will engage in 4w lo..IIR, both lights (4whi and 4wlo) on the switch will illuminate. I know the 4wd system is working as I checked it in the snow. So, given this info, I would suspect the encoder moter is the source of the problem..the one on the transfer case?

8. Pikey

is it switching into 2wd just no light??? If that is the case you may just have an issue at the connector for the switch. If it is switching between 2wd and 4wd then the encoder is ok

- - - Updated - - -

Again, A bad front actuator is not going to make the 2wd light not work

9. zebra308

zebra308 Rockstar

10. rwdelling

rwdelling New Member