1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

97 GMC Suburban Died...What Happened?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Tracey121, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Tracey121

Tracey121 New Member

UPDATE 97 GMC Suburban Died

UPDATE

Here is what I found:

I replaced the fuel filter. added HEET gasoline additive for possible h20 contamination, and tested.

This did not fix the problem.

I went back to O'Reilly's and purchased a new fuel pump and screen.

After a massive struggle to remove the pump assembly from the tank, I replaced the pump, and screen. This process took much longer than it should have because of the odd way the pump assm is attached to the tank.

I sat in the drivers seat thinking how the next few seconds was going to determine if I had to spend a fortune on a drive chain replacement, or would I be lucky and the Suburban would fire right up....

Moments later, I turned the key and a massive roar came from under the hood... the engine fired up with a more than normal very powerful sound, success!

I then toke the Suburban out on the freeway and stressed out my passenger as we soared past 80 like it was a stop sign.

Total cost: $225.00 $100.00 was for towing. Parts: $125.00

Apparently I had not realized that the engine had been suffering for fuel for some time. Engine performance was way down and I didn't realize it. Now, the Suburban runs like new, and I am not joking.

OReilly's tried hard to sell me a fuel pressure gauge which cost 75 percent of the fuel pump. To verify the pressure, that tool would be a nice thing to have. But the engine was obviously not getting fuel, and the pump, filter and regulator are your primary suspects. And, since this is a 15 year old truck, replacing any and all of these is just simple maintenance anyway.

Thanks to all for your great help. I greatly appreciate it.
  2. jake's silverado

jake's silverado New Member 100 Posts

Glad it worked out for you!!!. Not sure if I was much help!
  3. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member 100 Posts

Good to know. Thanks for the update!
  4. Thelofis

Thelofis New Member

I've read many of these good responses. I agree to check the fuel pressure. There's a valve on the large fuel line behind the Air Inlet Valve on the driver's side. You can hook up a gauge easily and check pressure. You need the gauge though. Just turn the key on and wait a few seconds. Don't start truck. My 99 shows running and not running Fuel Pressure as 58 psi. If you have bad gas, you can unhook the gauge only and use key on/key off cycles to pump gas out of the tank into a gas container. I got 10 gallons out this way in 15 minutes. If the pump is good, it'll pump out about 1 cup per 2 seconds. Inspect the gas.

Last year the Fuel pump on my fuel injected Volvo 940 went out my car went dead all of a sudden. I couldn't get it started at all. No Fuel pressure = no start for sure. Turns out that the fuel pump brushes were intermittent. I gently tapped on the pump and it would work for a while. I drove my car for ~2weeks or so by tapping on the FP when car went dead. It was weird. New pump arrived (Amazon) and solved the problem. IF your pump is old, don't rule out bad brushes on the pump and go/no go condition. It could also be a loose wire or connection somewhere also. Intermittently open electrical issues will behave like this. The are the toughest problems to find. Easy to fix though when found.
    Good luck.
  5. Ricky B

Ricky B New Member

And fwiw, this same technique will work on '87-'91 Broncos and F-150's as well. Don't ask me how I found this out.......