1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

97 gmc suburban front seal leaking

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by ganarful, Nov 7, 2013.

1. ganarful

ganarful New Member

i replaced the front wheel seal on my 97 gmc 1500 suburban twice now and its still leaking. The bearings seem fine, no noise or play in movement. does anyone know what i need to do different to stop having to replace this seal. it was suggested to me to use a bit of silicone gasket maker to help seal it. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts

where is the leak, at the seal outer mating surface or inner? Check the condition of mating surfaces for irregularities. I had a rear wheel seal that kept leaking and eventually found the problem. Too much fluid :facepalm: I was doing the old fill to about 1/2" below fill hole which ended up being like 3/4 qt too much. I went and found the correct capacity, refilled and no problem since.