1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

97 k1500 headers

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Duecess, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Duecess

Duecess New Member

I am looking to put some performance headers on my 1997 k1500 z71. If anybody has any suggestions as to what I should go with I would greatly appreciate it. And also I would like your opinion on whether I should go with an X-pipe or a 2-in 2-out muffler. Thanks.
  2. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC New Member 1000 Posts

When it comes to headers, you have 2 choices, shorty headers or long tube (LT) headers. Shorty headers are cheaper and require very little to no re-working of the exhaust system, though the performance gains you get out of them are minimal compared to long tube headers. That being said, long tube headers are usually more expensive and often require re-working of the exhaust system to allow them to fit properly and get the best performance out of the headers. However, combined with other performance upgrades such as a cold air intake, programmer/ custom tune, cam, forced induction, etc...you can expect considerable performance gains. As for the 2-in-2-out muffler vs. X-pipe, I don't have any experience with either but I'm gonna bet that an X-pipe will give you better performance and a better exhaust sound.
  3. Duecess

Duecess New Member

I plan on going with Long Tubes, most likely Hookers. A cold air intake is what I plan on doing here in a couple days but I would like some ideas on some setups for it. And I would like to put a programmer on it but I was told two completely opposite things. I was told by my brother that he would suggest putting one on if I don't plan on doing internals. But then somebody else told me that the only reason I should get one is if I do internals. hopefully you or somebody can clear this up for me and thanks for the help.