1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

97 Silverado 5.0L 4x4 - Need your thoughts (including any of you who have info)

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by gillespie85, Nov 29, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. gillespie85

gillespie85 New Member

Been looking real hard for a 96-98 silverado 4x4 or Z71 with little to no rust... which is hard to find in this area (Illinois)

Found a 97 1500 silverado 4x4 with 155,000 miles... but it has the 5.0L vortec V8 instead of the 5.7L that I was originally looking for

Can anyone offer some insight about the 5.0L 305 V8 engine? I dont know much about it... does it offer the same longevity as the 5.7L... any major downside to the 305s?

I realize there is a c/k1500 forum... but figured a lot of you are longtime silverado owners and might have some insight

Thanks.
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The longevity of the 5.0 is as good as the 5.7, just has less power. Also welcome to the club.
  3. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Agreed welcome aboard! as well i have driven the 5.0L and the 5.7L there is a bit of a power difference but it inst that noticeable really. and the 5.0L gets a bit better milage as well. And the only real difference between the 5.0L and the 5.7L is heads there is a small difference in them to make them a little smaller. But yes as Silverado said they are still just a great motor. Also if it isnt enough for you down the road the 5.7L is a direct bolt in as well.
  4. gillespie85

gillespie85 New Member

great! thanks for the info... if you have anything else to add I'm all ears cause I will probably make a decision on this truck in the next 48 hours.
  5. murdog94

To be honest if you have a clean (lower mile 155K is low milage for the year) and everything seems solid then i would be all over it. they are great trucks, and can be modified a million ways thanks to the HUGE aftermarket support..

One thing that i will add is if it has DEX COOL, antifreeze in it flush the system ASAP, and change the Tstat, and put in green coolant. since the DEX COOL is hard on the intake gaskets. But otherwise they are just a great solid and cheap to repair truck.
  6. gillespie85

gillespie85 New Member

so what do you think about the sale... 97 1500 silverado, extended cab(no third door), ~158k miles, 4x4, 5.0L V8, power windows/locks... Good condition... guy is asking $5900.

Pretty reasonably priced? seems to be for the area, but this is the first 5.0L one I have seen, so its hard to compare
  7. murdog94

Well here in MN that is a $4K truck AT MAX since we are getting the 1999 up NBS chevies with lower miles for that price. and lower.
  8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I agree with murdog94, that price seems high. The bluebook in my area, fully loaded with leather, in excellent condition is under $4,900. There are 4x4 2000 silverados in my area for that price.