Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

97 silverado grinding noise from trans/transfercase/or possibly front diff.

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by bwoody, Nov 3, 2010.

1. bwoody

bwoody New Member

I was coming home today and i started up the hill and noticed a loud grinding noise...i was in two wheel drive...i pulled over cause it sounded like something in the bellhousing but it would only do it while driving and you have to give it a little gas to make the noise but the trans is rebuilt with some performance upgrades..so i doubt its a trans noise if i come to a stop like to powerbrake it or brakestand it doesnt make the noise what could it be??bearing in t case?/or the front actuator sticking i had it in four wheel about 30 miles previous just to back up but it came out and went in fine...if i barley give it gas it goes just fine but if i go to drive it normal it makes an awful 4wd kinda drive grind and soulutions im puttin it on the rack at work in the mornin but i cant wait its buggin me
  2. bwoody

bwoody New Member

i drove it to work today and for awhile in 2wd then i came to a stop and it started grinding..so i put it in four wheel and it was quiet as could be so i took it on to work and put it on the lift pulled the front actuator to see if it was stuck halfway in the diff but it was fine..so i pulled the drive shaft out and grabbed the output shaft of the tcase and it moved in and out so i knew right then that the clip had broken and when i got on it put it in a bind..soo there was my problem ...then i pulled the tailshaft cover off with the four bolts and the c clip fell out in two pieces so easy fix hopefully nothing else is screwed up.,
  3. rich13

rich13 New Member

Hi bwoody, did it cure the noise? Your thread helped me, as my truck was making the same noise, only in 2 wheel drive, I tried new u-joints, no change, then I saw your post and my c-clip was also broken, I just ordered one and hope this cures it (?) Thanks, Rich13
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

5. rich13

rich13 New Member

Hi, just and update, I put the new c-clip in and it totally cured it! Thanks Bwoody!

Hi, just and update, I put the new c-clip in and it totally cured it! Thanks Bwoody!