1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

97 Silverado won't start!

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Saltcitycustoms, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Saltcitycustoms

Saltcitycustoms New Member

My truck won't start at all, its a 97 silverado with a 5.7l I went to start it the other day and once the starter engaged it cut out and I have no dash lights and now if I turn the key I get nothing at all, I checked all of the fuses twice and I am positive that is not it. please help.
  2. kaiah723

kaiah723 New Member

check alternater and battery
  3. GaryL

GaryL New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I second the battery check. I have seen some of that body style where the bolt for the battery cable was a hair too long and would not tighten the cable completely causing loss of power.
  4. Z71_guy

Z71_guy New Member 1000 Posts

check your batt connections sounds like the problem
  5. Saltcitycustoms

Saltcitycustoms New Member

The battery is fine, I still have power but the dash lights are out but I still have a dome light.
  6. daddytech

daddytech New Member

Check the battery terminals those will probably have some corrosion on them that needs to be cleaned off then tighten the cables back down good and you may find out the problem is solved, if not check to make sure the battery is charged and that the cables are all good and tight connecting to the battery and the starter and ground.

if all of those are clean connected and tight then i would focus on the alternator or starter but it should still at least try to start if it's the alternator usually .
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  7. kaiah723

kaiah723 New Member

did u check the fuses under the hood as well?