1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

'97 Sub K1500 Stumbling Starting

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by KonaBurb, Aug 22, 2010.

1. KonaBurb

KonaBurb New Member

My sub has been having a problem with the engine not starting right away. Sometimes it will start right up, other times it will require holding the ignition for around 5 seconds while it misses a few times between finally starting up. The tech who looked at it said it's getting good fuel pressure, but that one of the poppets in the spider was sticking and allowing pressure to leak down between starts.

I'm trying to sell the wonderful family hauler after 11 years of loyal service, but don't want to scare away a prospective buyer.

Is it possible to cure a sticky poppet with a fuel system cleaner, or do I need to replace the spider with a replacement (~$750ish)?
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Well i would try a seafoam treatment. In both the fuel, and thru the vacuum line. Also when was the last time that it had a cap and rotor done? those can cause for a harder start since they corrode much faster than normal.