1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

97 Suburban battery keeps dying and heat/ac blower stays on

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by zx2max, Jan 13, 2013.

1. zx2max

zx2max New Member

Two possibly unrelated problems with my 1997 Suburban. I replaced the battery back in August. Initially, if I hadn't driven the vehicle for a couple days the battery would die. Now it seems that I can jump it in the morning, drive to work, and when I get back to my vehicle 9 hours later it is dead. A couple weeks ago I did a draw test and I did not see an excessive draw. I think I was getting around 30 milliamps. Though I am not a mechanic so basically just googled the process. :) I think I'll give it another try today.

Now on to my second issue which just started happening the other day. The blower is in the off position but it seems to be stuck in the high position.

Any help with these two problems would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Definitely double check your test for parasitic draw. I would suggest not to assume the battery is still good. I know I've had a lot of trouble with batteries (especially the low end no name brands) in my Suburban.
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

Two types of blower speed control, one is the resistor pack that changes the voltage available to the blower motor. The other (which I think you have) is used on the auto HVAC controllers, it uses an electronic package to change the blower speed. The blower speed control module is available as a replacement part, or the existing assembly can be repaired (depending upon skill level). This is probably why the battery is flat.